TEMPUS is the European Union’s programme which supports the modernisation of higher education in the EU's surrounding area. Tempus promotes institutional cooperation that involves the European Union and Partner Countries and focuses on the reform and modernisation of higher education systems in the Partner Countries of Eastern Europe, Central Asia, the Western Balkans and the Mediterranean region.
It also aims to promote voluntary convergence of the higher education systems in the Partner Countries with EU developments in the field of higher education.
In addition to promoting cooperation between institutions, Tempus also promotes a people-to-people approach.Tempus provides support to consortia of institutions composed mainly of universities or university associations. Non-academic partners can also be part of a consortium.
The Tempus programme is implemented in close coordination with the Erasmus Mundus programme which provides scholarships to third country students allowing them to participate in top-level Master courses and Doctorate programmes outside the EU.
The overall objective of Tempus is to contribute to the creation of an area of cooperation in the field of higher education between the European Union and the Tempus Partner Countries.
The specific objectives of Tempus are as follows:
- To promote the reform and modernisation of higher education in the Partner Countries;
- To enhance the quality and relevance of higher education to the world of work and society in the Partner Countries;
- To increase the capacity of higher education institutions in the Partner Countries and the EU, in particular their capacity to cooperate internationally and to continually modernise;
- To assist them in opening up to the world of work and the society at large in order to:
- overcome inter-country fragmentation in the area of higher education and inter-institutional fragmentation in the countries themselves;
- enhance inter-disciplinary thinking and working within and between faculties and universitiesarity and trans-disciplinarity between university faculties;
- enhance the employability of university graduates;
- make the European Higher Education Area more visible and attractive to the world;
- To foster the reciprocal development of human resources;
- To enhance mutual understanding between the peoples and cultures of the EU and the Partner Countries.
Erasmus Mundus is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education that aims to enhance the quality of European higher education and to promote dialogue and understanding between people and cultures through cooperation with Third-Countries.
Erasmus Mundus objectives:
- Enhance the quality of European HE through international co-operation;
- Improve the development of human resources;
- Promote dialogue and understanding between peoples and cultures;
- Promote Europe as a centre of excellence in learning around the world.
Erasmus Mundus 2009-2013 is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education for:
- the enhancement of quality in European higher education;
- the promotion of the European Union as a centre of excellence in learning around the world;
- the promotion of intercultural understanding through cooperation with Third Countries as well as for the development of Third Countries in the field of higher education.
The Erasmus Mundus programme provides support to:
- higher education institutions that wish to implement joint programmes at postgraduate level (Action 1) or to set-up inter-institutional cooperation partnerships between universities from Europe and targeted Third-Countries (Action 2);
- individual students, researchers and university staff who wish to spend a study / research / teaching period in the context of one of the above mentioned joint programmes or cooperation partnerships (Action 1 and Action 2);
- any organisation active in the field of higher education that wishes to develop projects aimed at enhancing the attractiveness, profile, visibility and image of European higher education worldwide (Action 3).